Monday, January 19, 2009

Early Deadline Reminder

Since we're not in school today (yay!), you need to EMAIL me your critical analysis essay by midnight tonight if you want the early deadline grade option.  I will have them back to you by 3pm on Tuesday, which gives you a couple of days to polish them up for the Thursday final deadline.  Remember, I don't accept late work on these essays, period.  You've had MONTHS to work on it, there are no excuses at this point.

We're covering Pygmalion tomorrow through Thursday. I know a lot of you have seen My Fair Lady, which is a musicalized version of the play, but since G.B. Shaw would've HATED it, I find it hard to stomach...even though I have to admit that it's visually lovely (not loverly...ew).  The songs, though, are so embarrassingly BAD, I can't watch them without feeling sorry for the actors.

Anyhow, to give you a sense of how Shaw himself wanted Pygmalion to be experienced, click below on the YouTube video of the 1938 film version, for which Shaw himself won an Oscar for the screenplay.  The entire film is available in 10 minute clips, if you want to view it on YouTube.  But don't skip the reading, as half the fun is in Shaw's stage directions...and weird spelling foibles.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah Ewing
Period 3
Edgar Allan Poe

Anonymous said...

Rachel Geyer
Period 6
Mary Shelley