Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Brave New World on celluloid

So, I think I mentioned this to 6th period, but forgot to tell 2nd and 3rd...but I will be showing part one of the 4 hour mini-series of Brave New World after school on Thursday. You're probably not going to be able to find this anywhere else, at least I can't get it on Netflix, and the copy on eBay is a bootleg (like mine). I got it from some guy in England who offers free copies to educators...who knows, maybe he's the one selling them on eBay. Some IMDB info:

This is the 1980 4 hour mini-series that has Bud Cort (from Harold and Maude) as Bernard Marx. Good casting. Other than that, no recognizable names in the cast. The sets are SO cheesy, it's hilarious. If anyone is a MST3K fan, you'd have a field day with this one.

This is the 1998 TV movie that has Peter Gallagher as Bernard Marx...very odd casting, since he's definitely leading man material. But Leonard Nimoy as Mustapha Mond is pretty cool. They update the technology pretty well, it looks like Sex and the City, cocktail parties and beautiful shallow people galore.

I hear there's another movie coming out in 2011 with Leonardo DiCaprio (not as Bernard Marx, I hope...more like John the Savage) and directed by Ridley Scott. This one might actually be good, if they can work around the anachronisms.

2 comments:

Vanathi said...

I found the Brave New World movie online it says its from 1980:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3536993421073315692
Is this the right one?

mst said...

Yes, this looks like the one! Wow, I didn't realize there were entire movies online like this. Cool.